Junior or Intermediate Engineer / Building Science Specialist
Pretium Engineering Inc. is a specialist building science, structural and mechanical consulting engineering firm with offices throughout Ontario, in Breslau (Waterloo), Burlington, Milton, Newmarket, Ottawa, and Toronto, and a staff complement of over 75 engineers and technologists. Our engineered solutions have solved building performance problems, on time and within budget since 1993. We are managed by our partners and senior management, all of whom have 10 to 40 years of experience. We provide our expertise to a wide variety of sectors, including commercial, residential, retail, healthcare, educational, institutional, industrial, recreational, and hospitality.
Pretium is currently looking for a Junior or Intermediate Engineer or Building Science Specialist to join the team as a project coordinator in our New Construction Bulletin 19 / Third Party Review engineering practice area. We are seeking a talented, energetic individual to join our growing firm.
The successful candidate is comfortable dealing with clients, communicating with contractors and working on active construction sites. A commitment to providing first-rate client service and technical excellence to deliver practical, creative solutions is essential. An inquisitive outlook, a hard worker who readily and quickly assumes responsibility and a team player who can work independently with minimum direction are traits that are required to be successful in this role.
Skills and Experience Requirements:
- Graduate of a Civil or Architectural Engineering or Architectural Building Science program.
- Façade and/or building science technical knowledge and understanding of building envelope construction, assemblies, details, etc.
- Previous experience including exposure to Architectural drawings and/or construction site review for high rise residential buildings is an asset.
- Experience and knowledge of Tarion Bulletin 19 / Condominium Construction industry is an asset.
- Excellent English communication skills, both oral and written.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word and Excel.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- Capable of efficiently and effectively managing multiple tasks independently and in a multi-disciplinary team environment.
- Excellent organizational and time management skills.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
- Specific responsibilities will vary based on type of project but may include, client management, design and shop drawing review, proposal and report writing, preparation of reports, and other project documentation.
- Assist with third party review of new construction building envelope components during construction including reporting, quality observation, and liaison with clients, contractors, and manufacturers as needed with minimal supervision on site.
- Assist with field review/testing and data collection and prepare performance or technical/building audit or other investigative reports complete with observations, conclusions, and recommendations.
- Maintain a high level of product quality; technically, grammatically, and as per company master report formats. All written reports to be proof-read first by you, then peer reviewed by the Project Manager or other designated Peer Reviewer. Ensure draft documents are prepared to the level expected by the Project Manager and Peer Reviewer (treat your work as if there was no peer review and that the Client will be evaluating your competency directly). Plan and schedule sufficient time for the reviewer.
- Ensure all deliverables are completed on time, on budget, and meet or exceed quality standards.
Pretium Engineering Inc. is committed to supporting a diverse and an inclusive workforce that fosters an environment of open communication. We base our hiring practices on objective criteria to ensure that all candidates receive a fair opportunity for employment. We are committed to working with applicants of all abilities. We provide accommodation to applicants who require it. At Pretium, we welcome all qualified applicants to apply.
Health and Safety
The health and safety of our employees is a core principle of Pretium. Pretium complies with all applicable Ontario’s OSHA workplace safety and health requirements and maintains occupational safety and health standards that endeavour to equal or exceed the best practices in the industry. An injury and accident-free workplace is our goal. All employees are expected and encouraged to participate in company health and safety initiatives and support the Joint Health and Safety Committee.
Pretium is committed to promoting a safe and healthy workplace for all employees, contractors, volunteers, and visitors. In pursuit of our commitment, Pretium has developed, implemented, and enforces policies and procedures that promote and provide a healthier, safer work environment. We understand the importance of safety to the well-being and productivity of our employees and strive to safeguard the workplace from injury and malfeasance due to negligence. Pretium encourages open communication on health and safety issues as it is essential to providing an accident-free and productive work environment.
Ready to Apply?
Note that this position is based out of our Etobicoke office. Please submit your resume and cover letter through the company website application process.
We appreciate the interest and efforts of all applicants; however only those short-listed as candidates will be contacted.
Consulting Engineers | Working Together, Better - Our slogan not only describes how we approach our internal operations, but also embodies the approach to our work and our service to clients.