Building Enclosure Commissioning
As stated in ASTM E2813-2012; “Building Enclosure Commissioning (BECx) is a process that begins with the establishment of the Owner’s Project Requirements (OPR) and endeavors to ensure that the exterior enclosure and those elements intended to provide environmental separation within a building or structure meet or exceed the expectations of the Owner.”
The ideal BECx project engages a third party Building Enclosure Commissioning Agent (BECxA) who will be involved in the project from Pre-Design right through Occupancy and Operations. Some of the key Commissioning tasks include:
- Assisting with the development of the Owner’s Project Requirements (OPR) and Basis of Design (BOD) documents;
- Preparation of the project specific BECx specification section(s) including a summary of the required pre-construction laboratory and field performance tests;
- Review of enclosure related construction document drawings and specifications;
- Development of the BECx plan and schedule;
- Performing or witnessing the required pre-construction laboratory or field performance tests, as appropriate;
- Documenting non-compliance or failure of said tests and providing technical expertise to assist in their remediation;
- Ongoing updating and refinement of the OPR and BOD as the project progresses and changes are made; and,
- Preparation of a final BECx report summarizing all of the information collected throughout the project, including the finalized OPR, BOD, BECx Plan and test reports for all re-construction laboratory and field performance tests.
Our extensive experience in the evaluation and testing of new and existing buildings allows us to also provide new building commissioning and retro-commissioning services for the building envelope. In combination with our network of partners we can provide this same service for Whole Building Commissioning as well.
There are currently no projects to display for the category "Building Enclosure Commissioning".